5 c white distilled vinegar
5 c water
1/2 c pickling salt
4 lbs small thin pickling cucumbers
4 tsp mustard seed
4 tsp coriander seeds
4 tsp whole peppercorns
8 bay leaves
8 dill heads
8 tsp fresh dill
8 large garlic cloves
4 tsp red pepper flakes
8 fresh grape leaves
1. Soak fresh grape leaves in cool water for 8 hrs or overnight. Drain.
2. Prepare cucumbers. Wash and trim and cut into spears to stand upright in pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top.
3. Sterilize 8 pint jars and lids; wide mouth jars work best for this application.
4. Put 1/2 tsp mustard seed, 1/2 coriander seed, 1/2 tsp whole peppercorns, 1 bay leaf, 1 dill head, 1 tsp fresh dill, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and 1 garlic clove in each jar.
5. Pack about a 1/2 lb of prepared cucumber spears, standing on end into each pint jar.
6. In a non-reactive pot combine vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Pour boiling liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/2 inch head room and cover the top with a grape leaf. Wipe down jar rims and add lids. Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath.