Spring season is here! Yippee!!! Let’s get things cleaned up.
Home Spring Cleaning
- Dust: Furniture, framed photos, paintings, books and nick-nacks
- Clean Furniture and Cabinets: Clean, oil and wax couches, mattresses, tables, ceiling fans and chairs with vacuum cleaner, lemon oil, wax and/or an all-purpose spray.
- Clean Appliances: Clean stove, stove exhaust fan, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, electronic devices, garbage disposal, and refrigerator.
- Clean Vents and Change Air Filters and Water Filters
- Remove Storm Windows, Clean Windows, Screens and Window Coverings: Clean windows inside and out with ammonia/water to remove grease spots and vinegar/water to remove water spots and a squeegee and towel. Remove window coverings and clean appropriately.
- Clean Cellar and Pantry: Clean out all produce and dry goods that has gone bad and clean with baking soda, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide powder.
- Vacuum and Shampoo: Rugs and carpeting.
- Check Fire Alarms and Fire Extinguishers: Clean, change out batteries and check on fire extinguisher expiration dates.
- Sweep all Chimneys
- Check all First Aid Kits, Clean and Replace Items Used.
Barn Spring Cleaning
- Remove Bedding, Sweep and Outdoor Vacuum the Barn.
- Power Spray and Disinfect Barn Stalls, Hooks, Feed Bins, Cubicles and Aisles: Power spray the barn, then scrub down appropriate areas with vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide powder.
- Replace Bedding
- Clean, Sharpen, Repair Barn Tools
- Repair Holes
Coop Spring Cleaning
- Remove 3/4 of the Used Bedding: within the coop (if you use the deep bedding method) and all of the bedding in the nest boxes and put the material in the compost pile. Spray down and scrub next boxes and perches with a combination of water, vinegar and pure neem oil. Replace bedding.
- Replace Dust Bath: with 1 part soil or peat moss, 1 part diatomaceous earth, 1 part sand and 1 part wood ash. Mix in 1/4 cup of pure neem oil and .
- Deeply Clean Waterers: with sand, vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide powder.
- Deeply Clean Sprouting Trays: with sand, vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide powder.
- Test and Replace Hoses and Rechargeable Lights.
- Clean All Handles and Locks and Grease Hinges.
- Test, Repair and Replace Fencing.
Garden Spring Cleaning
- Disinfect Clay Pots: with vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide powder
- Prepare Raised Beds: Add compost, turn in green manure and line with black plastic where appropriate.
- Prune Trees and Shrubs: before they have budded out if you had not done this in the late-fall.
- Repair Fences, Hoop Houses, Tools, Beds and Hoses:
- Clean and Sharpen Tools and Gloves