(makes 8 pint jars)
2 c sugar, honey or maple syrup
2 c white distilled vinegar
2 c water
1 tbsp allspice berries
1 tbsp whole cloves
5 cinnamon sticks
24 allspice berries
24 whole cloves
8 small sticks of cinnamon
2 tsp pickling salt
4 lbs beets
1. Prepare beets. Cut off beet tops, scrub the beets clean.
2. Cover whole beets with cool water and bring to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes.
3. Shock the beet in iced water and rub off skin. Cut off top and bottom and cut beet into 1/2 inch cubes or 1/4 inch slices.
4. Sterilize 8 pint jars and lids; wide mouth jars work best for this application.
5. Lightly toast whole spices. Place 3 allspice berries, 3 whole cloves and one small cinnamon stick into each jar. Pack jars with beet cubes or slices, leaving 1/2 inch head room.
6. In a non-reactive pot combine vinegar, water, sugar/honey/syrup, 1 tbsp allspice berries, 1 tbsp whole cloves, 5 cinnamon sticks and salt. Bring to a boil. Strain out whole spices from pickling liquid and cool to room temperature. Pour cooled pickling liquid.
7. Wipe down jar rims and add lids. Process 30 minutes in boiling water bath.