What Is Colloidal Silver?
Colloidal Silver is a suspension of very tiny silver particles in liquid, typically purified water. Silver is a mineral. It is not yet known, scientifically speaking, what the function of silver is in the human body. Silver is a naturally occurring mineral in foods and water.
January, 1915, The Journal of Medical Research released finding from G. L. Rohdenburg, M.D. about the use of Colloidal Silver in the treatment of malignant tumors. Since this time, Colloidal Silver has been used to treat a wide range of ailments. [Source: WebMD] Colloidal silver is used to treat infections due to yeast; bacteria (tuberculosis, Lyme disease, bubonic plague, pneumonia, leprosy, gonorrhea, syphilis, scarlet fever, stomach ulcers, cholera); parasites (ringworm, malaria); and viruses (HIV/AIDS, pneumonia, herpes, shingles, warts) and is also used to prevent flu, H1N1 (swine) flu, and the common cold. Colloidal silver is also used for lung conditions including emphysema and bronchitis; skin conditions including rosacea, cradle cap (atopic dermatitis), eczema, impetigo, and psoriasis; and inflammation (sometimes due to infection) of the bladder (cystitis), prostate (prostatitis), colon (colitis), nose (rhinitis), stomach (gastritis), tonsils (tonsillitis), appendix (appendicitis), and sinuses (sinusitis). Other uses include treatment of cancer, diabetes, arthritis, lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, leukemia, hay fever and other allergies, trench foot, and gum disease. It seems that how Colloidal Silver works is that it can kill certain germs by binding to and destroying proteins.
I’m sure you are thinking, “Great! It’s a cure-all! Where do I find this great stuff?” Hold your horses for just a moment…
In 1999, the FDA ruled that these Colloidal Silver products were not considered safe or effective. Routinely, the FDA targets companies which supply Colloidal Silver. The agency has repeatedly targeted companies trying to help people with Colloidal Silver including during the recent Ebola epidemic when it threatened organizations like the Natural Solutions Foundation for attempting to help Ebola victims by providing them with silver water.
And then, NASA ruled that Colloidal Silver will be used at the International Space Station; “On station, silver is used as a biocidal agent based on its antimicrobial properties in the potable water system.” Too much silver may be toxic to humans, so NASA is supporting research into a simple technique that it says will allow International Space Station crew members to test silver levels in water in less than two minutes.
All these mixed messages! I am sorry to say that there are so many political and financial power grabs going on that it is difficult to discern what it truthful and accurate. So now what do you do? As with many alternative medical treatments you must conduct your own research and decide if it is right for you. I know…. Again with this self reliant thing. Unlike conventional medicine, you will not have a large pharmaceutical company to go after if you use, misuse or improperly dose or just take this treatment.
How To Use Colloidal Silver?
The appropriate dose of Colloidal Silver depends on age, health and other factors. Silver is naturally found in food and water, and when recommended by a physician, the typical dosage of colloidal silver is about one teaspoon per day for a set limit of time taken internally. It is also used externally over burns, fungal infection and other skin conditions.
If you decide to use Colloidal Silver, you will have to determine how to use it and what it right for you. Self-reliance…. Responsibility….
Should You Use Colloidal Silver?
As with any form of medicine, alternative or not, it is important to weigh its benefits against its side effects. Colloidal Silver has side effects that you need to consider.
Colloidal Silver is easy to absorb. [Source: WebMD] “The silver in colloidal silver products gets deposited in vital organs such as the skin, liver, spleen, kidney, muscle, and brain. This can lead to an irreversible bluish skin discoloration that first appears in the gums. It can also stimulate melanin production in skin, and areas exposed to the sun will become increasingly discolored.’ Even more concerning is that heavy metals in the brain are being linked to Alzheimer’s and dementia disease, although more study is needed to determine its full impact. [Source: WebMD] “Increased silver levels in pregnant women have been linked to abnormal development of the ear, face, and neck in their babies.” Colloidal Silver interferes with other antibiotics.
My personal opinion means squat in this scenario. I am not a doctor. I would advise anyone to use caution when using Colloidal Silver and to seek the advise of a homeopathic doctor on the subject. I also will not advise you to take it. Determine if it is or is not appropriate to use in your own case, using your own research and personal, situational factors.
My personal choice is to use Colloidal Silver as I would use an antibiotic. I’m not an antibiotic kinda gal, so you can assume I rarely use Colloidal Silver. Only when the condition is not treatable by other herbal methods and I do not wish to use antibiotics do I choose to use Colloidal Silver. That typically is when the infection is a bad infection. So, there you go.
With legislation coming down the pipe with antibiotic use with livestock, I do think that Colloidal Silver use will be on the rise. This means that it may be used appropriately and then again may not… I just believe that you should be educated on the subject prior to its use or consuming meat or eggs where it has been used.
• Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. “Public Health Statement for Silver.” 12/90. (03/06/09). http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/phs146.html
• Botelho, Greg. “Slivers of Silver for what ails you?” CNN. (03/06/09). http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/19/silver/
• Celizic, Mike. “Real Life Blue Guy Shrugs off his skin color.” Today, MSNBC. 01/07/08. (03/05/09). http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22536241/
• FDA. “FDA Issues Final Rule on OTC Products Containing Colloidal Silver.” 08/17/99. (03/06/09). http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00971.html
• Harvard Health Publications. “Taking Silver could give you the blues.” Harvard Medical School. 08/07. (02/03/09). http://www.colloidalsilver.com.au/NewFiles/Harvard%20Health%20Aug%2007%20E.pdf
• Lindemann, Peter. “Colloidal Silver: A Closer Look.” Elixa Peak Being. (03/07/09). http://www.elixa.com/silver/lindmn.htm
• Mayo Clinic. “Alternative Medicine: Evaluate Claims of treatment Success.” (03/01/09). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alternative-medicine/SA00078
• Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. “Colloid.” (03/02/09). http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colloid
• National Center for Alternative and Complimentary Medicine. “Colloidal Silver Products.” (03/02/09).
• New York Times, The. “National Briefing- Rockies: Montana: Drug Turned Candidate Blue.” 10/02/02. (03/06/09). http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9405E5D81E38F930A35753C1A9649C8B63&scp=6&sq=colloidal%20silver&st=cse
• Newsday. “Colloidal Silver: No Silver Lining Found in Product.” 3/23/07. (03/06/09). http://www.newsday.com/news/health/nyp-dssuppl3301569may27,1,5620076.story nih.gov/health/silver/
• Prevention Magazine. “Colloidal Silver.” 2007. (03/06/09). http://www.prevention.com/cda/vendorarticle/colloidal-silver/HN2832002/health/vitamin.encyclopedia/0/0/usage
• Rohdenburg, Dr. G.L. “Colloidal Silver with Lecethin in the treatment of malignant tumors. The Journal of Medical Research. Vol.XXXI No. 3. 01/1915. (03/02/09). http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=2083823&blobtype=pdf
• Silver Gen. “SilverGen Ionic- Colloidal Silver Generators Utilize CONSTANT Currant Technology.” (03/06/09). http://www.silvergen.com/
• Silverum. “Exploring the Historical Therapeutic Uses of Silver.” (03/06/09). http://www.silverum.com/history_colloidal_silver.html
• Sloan-Kettering. “About Herbs- Colloidal Silver.” (03/06/09). http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69189.cfm
• Stein, Matthew. “When Technology Fails.” Chelsea Green Publishing, p. 259. 2008. (03/06/09). http://books.google.com/books?id=SKt_u35t9hsC&pg=PA259&lpg=PA259&dq=how+do+silver+generators+work+News&source=bl&ots=gSWtnNQUDq&sig=Q1eSbgVTUtpsN2mXC02A4RLgRsA&hl=en&ei=MsmySYuZApL4MbeThf4E&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result
• Today’s Women and Health. “What is Colloidal Silver?” (Accessed 3/18/09) http://www.todays-women-and-health.com/what-is-colloidal-silver.html
• Valentino, Steve. “Colloidal Silver Benefits.” Ezine. (Accessed 3/19/09) http://ezinearticles.com/?Colloidal-Silver-Benefits&id=353789
• Wolfe Clinic, the. “The Silver Solution.” (03/02/09). http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/silvermax.html
• Winter, Greg. “U.S. Vows More Scrutiny Of Health Ads on Net.” New York Times, The. 16/06/01. (03/06/09). http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE4DE1731F936A25755C0A9679C8B63
• Woolsten, Chris. “Does colloidal silver boost immunity or overall health?” Los Angeles Times, the. 03/07/09). http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-skeptic9-2009feb09,0,2063918.story
• Z-Medica. “QuikClot Sport & QuikClot Sport Silver.” (03/06/09). http://www.z-medica.com/products/quikclot_sport.asp
• Zeller, James. “Big Business discovers colloidal silver.” Wall Street Journal, The. 06/06/06. (03/06/09). http://www.n-ergetics.com/wsjcolloidalsilver.html
• Zeller, Jason. “Beyond the Battlefield.” JEMS. 03/01/08. (03/06/09). http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/articles/jems/3303/beyond_the_battlefield.html
• Zeratzky, Dr.Katherine “Colloidal Silver: Is it safe?” The Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colloidal-silver/AN01682